Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Product review: Shree Samarth Foods & Spices/Kadhaai

On our recent vacation, I picked up a few things at an Indian grocery store, one of them being a packet of Chicken Kadhai, from Kadhaai. Normally I'm not an advocate of box mixes and such, but I try to keep some on hand for those times you absolutely MUST have your favorite foods, even if you don't have the time to do the prep work. Today was one of those days. I'm glad it was.

I knew today was going to be a hectic one, in and out due to doctor appointments and such, so last night when I went to my Indian section in my pantry, I spied this mix. I knew I'd have to try it! The ingredients sounded tasty and since I didn't have time to mix mine all together, this would do.

The packet is simple. Open, mix in a cup of water. It advises you to brown your chicken, and then simmer for 10 minutes. I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of raw chicken. When 10 minutes was over, it was still pink. Blech.

With pink chicken out of the question, I decided to let it simmer while the basmati rice was steaming.
To say this dish was superb is an understatement. Not only was it quick and easy, very little clean up, and YUMMY, I wish I would have purchased more when we were in Pennsylvania. It was labeled "medium" but I would put it more in the "mild" category. The spices were surprisingly fresh tasting, and nothing was over powered.

I would definitely recommend this to someone who either can't cook, has no time to cook, etc. You can have great tasting home made food in a fraction of the time it would take to put together all of the spices (12 of them!). Reasonably priced and tasty. A great combonation.

www.shreesamarthfoods.com

No comments:

Post a Comment